Sunday, August 30, 2009

Thrifty Monday


Well, I didn't make it to the yard sales this week! My partner in crime is under the weather! (Hi Mom - Love You!) So, I thought I would show my fireplace. It's chocked full of thrifty treasures!



I have kind of a nature/bird theme going in my family room. The tile, brick and paneling were all recently re-done when we moved in. They were well thought out and look really good together. Unfortunately, they have a bit of a pinkish tone. That's not exactly what I would have chosen for my Autumn color scheme. I decided to go for it anyway and I think it still works.

Here's the rundown of what I have on my fire
place starting on the mantel going from left to right:


Oops...left a couple of candles on the mantel, didn't mean to do that! The topiary has a match on the other end. I got one of them at Michael's with a coupon and the other I found at a yard sale shortly after! Bird house art from Hobby Lobby - when they had one of their framed art 50% off sales! The green pineapple candle holder was from a yard sale. I love the yellow bird candle holder! I got that at a thrift store for $6. I thought it looked good with the pineapple 'cuz they are the same kind of metal.


Okay, so confession time...see the little metal sign that says FAMILY? Well, it's hanging on a big fat nail that I can not take out! I didn't want to do a traditional centered piece of art, so I just had to find something to hang there. That's what I came up with for now. Got the FAMILY metal sign at Hobby Lobby when metal stuff was half off. I love the mini topiary and white iron bird! Those are from the thrift store, paid a couple of bucks for each of them. The LIVE-LAUGH-LOVE is from Kirkland's. I bought it with a gift certificate I got as a house-warming gift. They still sell a similar sign with those words, but they changed the design a bit right after that. I like this one best.


So I really like things made of wire, like little chairs, birdcages, baskets...I've had these a long time and I don't remember where I got them or how much I paid. The lamp was a gift from my mother-in-law, she couldn't use it anymore. The metal square art is from Hobby Lobby (50% off) and the "C" was a gift.

That is a one-of-a-kind original watercolor painted by my Mom! It's one of my favorite things and it is in a place of honor so I can look at it every day! Thanks Mom!
More little chairs, bucket was a gift. I just stuck some fake Hobby Lobby grass and berries in it. Those are extra pillows from our sofas.


So, that's a peak at my family room! I wanted to do it now, because I've started decorating for fall. It's all different now!

I'm joining Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch and Today's Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality! Let's head on over and check out all the treasures and transformations!









28 comments:

  1. I never would have guessed that was hanging from a "not suppose to be there" nail! Good job hiding it. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great place to be able to change things up and decorate for the seasons. The sign does not look like a mistake--shh, don't tell anybody else why you hung it there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Mom's watercolor - it's beautiful and extra special. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! I love your fireplace. Very warm & inviting :~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful blog-- this is my first time visiting and thanks for stopping by mine so i could find yours~

    I couldnt help but notice your divine feline friends on the left side of your site.

    Thanks so much for stopping -- the pleasure was certainly mine.

    TTFN~~Claudia ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, You've taken a lot of different accessories and have successfully turned your fireplace into a fun decorating display. I have some wire-ware too. Mine are a high-chair and a bed! Love that you've incorporated a special personal piece into your vignette.
    :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your firplace looks so warm and inviting! A great place to cozy up and read a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fireplace...especially your mom's watercolor!...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW...your mantle looks great! Love all the interesting items.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mantle decorating can be such a chore but you've proven it can be fun and rewarding! I love all the elements you've chosen, but the original watercolor is definitely my favorite piece!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute stuff on your mantle! My favorite is that Live Laugh Love picture. I am ready to decorate for fall too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a darling post. I hope your partner in crime is feeling better soon.. Happy MM.
    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fireplace looks great..what a nice collection of treasure!

    thanks for stopping by my blog...it's great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl! You have some awesome things around your fireplace.... that thing is beatuiful! I bet you go all out on holidays...cant wait to see~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your fireplace looks very nice! I love the theme you are using! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute!
    I love those little wire chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just dandy! I struggle with my mantle decor ALL THE TIME, and you've given me some great inspiration. BTW, I love how the 'live laugh love' sign looks just where you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your mantle looks very pulled together. You had a lot of space to decorate and you've chosen some great pieces. I'm partial to the painting your mother did because I love pieces that were created by family and friends. Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lot of mantles are overcrowded with decors, especially if the owner has quite a collection, but this one actually has good space in between. Looks great.

    Nicolette
    http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done on all your thrifty finds. Having a fireplace to decorate is a extra bonus in any home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a great big space to play with there don't you. I like the country style.

    ReplyDelete
  22. pam....i your mantle is great! i can totally relate with a big 'ol nail stuck in the brick.....thankfully ours is in the middle. :) your mom's watercolor is really pretty! thanks for stopping by...i'm glad to have 'found' eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your fireplace looks great! I have that bird house picture too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like that "C" you have - so rustic looking and can sit flat. Nice. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! Off to browse around here some more!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We have so much in common. I have a bird theme going in one of my rooms too and I love wire things,
    baskets, wall decor, etc. And my sister does watercolors like your mom!

    Your home looks charming.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoyed seeing your great finds. You've done a really nice job selecting and displaying them! Your mom's watercolor painting is very special ... she must be pleased that it has a place of honor in you home!

    bye for now,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thanks so much!